Medicine Volunteer Projects in Bangladesh
- Placement location: Dhaka
- Type of placements: Public hospital
- Role: To work alongside qualified medical doctors
- Accommodation: Shared volunteer apartments
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From two weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
According to Irin News, Dhaka, a city that is home to over 14 million people, only has one medical doctor for every 3200 people and one hospital bed for every 1738 people.
Projects Abroad aim to improve standards of healthcare in Dhaka through awareness, prevention and treatment. This project allows volunteers to gain invaluable insight into the healthcare system and procedures within a developing country, as well as prevalent local diseases. Should volunteers have a medical background and experience, they will be able to share their knowledge with other volunteers as well as the local teams and initiate discussion and exchange around best practices.
Volunteering on a Medicine project in Dhaka
While working in a public hospital, volunteers will spend time in various departments such as general surgery, internal medicine, obstetrics, gynaecology and paediatrics. Medicine volunteers will work alongside a medical doctor and will be able to learn as much as possible about practices in Bangladesh.
Projects Abroad staff will organise regular outreach programmes in Dhaka. Through these initiatives, which include health awareness presentations, volunteers will be able to help the local people learn how to live a healthy lifestyle. Volunteers receive thorough training from a healthcare professional and will therefore be able to offer free healthcare assistance to community members who may not have easy access to the local services.