Equine Therapy & Community in Bolivia
High School Projects for 16-19 Year Olds
- Placement location: Cochabamba
- Types of placement: Equine therapy centre
- Accommodation: Host Families or hotel
- Age Requirements: 16-19 years old
Volunteers will be placed at Tunari Equestrian Centre, which is understaffed and under resourced. Currently there are close to 60 disabled children attending equine therapy at the centre. There are also up to 100 children who are learning horse riding at the centre.
Volunteers are needed to provide assistance in helping the children improve their motor and cognitive skills in order to speed up their rehabilitation. They will also provide assistance with improving and enhancing the facilities at the centre.
Volunteers will be involved in:
- Building horse fences out of boards: cut wood according to specifications, secure pillars in the ground, drill holes in the wood pillars, screw the plants and boards.
- Building the floor of the stables and repair some of the stable roofs: prepare concrete, level the floor with concrete, plate bricks and cement.
- Interacting with the children: assist in equine therapy classes, organise a little party for the children at the centre, ride the horses to keep them trained.
- Volunteers will work up to 8 hours a day.