Volunteer Nutrition Projects in Fiji
Projects Abroad Fiji has developed a Nutrition, Health and Wellness programme working with village communities in Fiji in order to tackle some of the main health issues that have resulted from poor diet and unhealthy lifestyle.
The prevalence of Non Communicable Diseases (NCDs), in particular diabetes and heart disease, amongst adults in the Pacific Region is one of the highest in the world, according to the World Health Organisation. These diseases cause up to 80% of all deaths in Fiji, therefore this project adopts a practical hands-on approach that focuses on working directly with the Fijian people at a grass roots level.
- Placement locations: Nadi
- Role: To work within local village communities addressing the main health issues facing the people of Fiji
- Types of placements: Community-based
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
This project is based in villages near to Nadi, which is on the west coast of Viti Levu. No experience is needed for the Nutrition project, except an interest in healthy living and making a real difference, so you can get involved as part of a gap year, career break or extended holiday. This project may also interest pre-medical students who are looking to gain experience in an alternative field of medicine.
Volunteering in Fiji on the Nutrition Project
The Nutrition project takes a holistic approach to tackling all aspects of NCDs, to include identifying health issues, education and empowering people to take better care of themselves and their families.
Volunteers will work on a nutrition award for the communities.
The process in helping these communities reach their objective is listed below, with each step representing a weekly visit by staff and volunteers:
- Health screening
- Analysis, presentation and action planning
- Implementation and monitoring of action plan
- Action plan activities
- Secondary screening/action plan activities
- Review of screening and action plan/action plan activities
- Implementation of reviewed action plan/action plan activities
- Reviewed action plan activities
Projects Abroad volunteers and staff will run lessons in three different schools, with three year groups, educating a total of 300 children.
We will focus our efforts on three low-income communities – Saravi, Nakavu and Navakai. These communities will compete with each other, with the winner receiving an award at an annual ceremony in December.
Volunteers on this placement will have the chance to conduct workshops on diet and nutrition, run exercise classes and give healthy cooking demonstrations to the local villagers.
Your Role as a Volunteer on the Nutrition Project
As a volunteer on the Nutrition project you will be able to help people from the rural communities in Fiji who do not have easy access to healthcare and health education. You will receive training when you arrive and be fully supported by our in country team. As this is an ongoing project, you will have the opportunity to work on existing cases, as well as being assigned your own individual cases.
Volunteers can specify their personal interests and concentrate their efforts on any of the following areas:
- Health Screenings
- Family Health Empowerment
- Family Health Mapping
- Analysing and Recording of Data
- Report Writing and Presentations
- House to House Intervention Projects
- Healthy Cooking Classes and Recipes
- Creating ‘Super Food’ Gardens
- Village Exercise Project
- Nutrition, Health and Wellness Education
- Child Health Project
- Corporate Health Project
- Natural Remedies and Detoxification Project