Alternative Schoolies Volunteer Projects Overseas
Celebrate your final exams with a life-changing volunteering trip and experience a different kind of Schoolies.
Alternative Schoolies Projects are a great way to mark the end of school and the beginning of a new chapter of your life. When you volunteer with Projects Abroad, you will live with a local host family, experience a new culture and make life-long friends from around the world, all while giving back to a community in need.
Volunteering abroad opens the door to new sights, sounds, smells and of course, responsibilities. From developing haggling skills in the marketplace to gaining a deeper understanding of how other people live, all of our volunteers grow personally from their experience.
Making your Schoolies Memorable
We run volunteering programmes in 30 developing countries across the globe and have selected two destinations ideal for an Alternative Schoolies experience – Sri Lanka and Samoa. If you have somewhere else in mind, get in touch and we can chat through your options.
Download our Alternative Schoolies leaflet here.
We have two set start dates for our suggested Schoolies projects, so you can join right after your last exam. We have local staff working on the ground in every country, available to give you support 24/7 and to ensure that all our projects run smoothly.
"Throughout high school I knew that I wanted to travel overseas... This volunteer trip has opened my eyes to everything around me and I feel like I can take on the whole world now! I am forever grateful for this experience and words cannot explain how truly amazing it was.”
Sri Lanka / Samoa
How does it work?
- Typically the groups are made up of 5-10 young people looking for a worthwhile, fun and unique Schoolies experience. It’s a very social environment, so whether you join by yourself or with friends, you’re bound to make connections with others that will last a lifetime.
- There are two set start dates: 18th November and 25th November; you can join the project for two or three weeks.
- You’ll have the chance to get involved in new and exciting projects – ranging from Care and Teaching placements, to Building, Healthcare and Conservation work.
- The programmes are incredibly diverse and will give you the chance to work with people from a range of backgrounds.
- You’ll also have the evenings and weekends to explore; you might find yourself lazing on Samoa’s white sandy coastline or trekking through the lush green tea plantations in Sri Lanka's hill country.
Here are some projects perfect for those looking for an Alternative Schoolies experience: