Care Volunteer Projects in China
In order to volunteer on most of our Care projects in China, no previous qualifications or experience are needed. Regardless of whether you are a gap year student, or on a career break all you need is energy and enthusiasm - all volunteers are welcome. You will be able to offer a valuable contribution and play a large role in relieving the workload of the local staff.
You will also add to the children’s quality of life, not only through the development of their social skills, but also through exposing them to new cultures and ideas.
- Placement locations: Chengdu, Shanghai
- Types of care projects: Kindergartens, and centres for children with learning disabilities.
- Age of children: 2 - 12
- Number of people cared for: 15 - 60
- Role: Volunteers work on achieving the goals set out in the Care Management Plan, including running educational games and group activities, providing emotional support and helping improve general hygiene
- Accommodation: Shared volunteer apartments
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 3 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Voluntary work with Projects Abroad
Volunteering on a Care project in China is a chance to make a difference to the children of Chengdu or children in the diverse city of Shanghai. You will help with a wide range of activities, depending on the age-group and needs of those you are working with. You may be required to help the staff with basic care duties at certain times of the day, but there will be other times when the work is less structured and you can help with introducing creative games and activities.
Projects Abroad works with kindergartens in and around Chengdu and Shanghai. Here volunteers will be able to assist local teachers with all kinds of educational activities, such as arts and crafts, reading and writing. There are normally between 40 and 50 children in each class, so any help that you can provide will be appreciated.
During the summer months and in February when the kindergartens are on holiday, we arrange summer classes for local children. Your role will be to help organise activities for the children and provide them with additional support.
There may also be the opportunity to work at centres for disabled children, assisting those who are most disadvantaged in society. Support and care is offered to day visitors; accommodating young children through to twelve year olds. The centres provide physical rehabilitation, education and nursing care for many children. Both physically and mentally stimulating exercises are used, aiming to improve the children’s capabilities, and to lead a healthier life.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our China Care Management Plan.
Although some of the staff at the Care projects speak only a basic level of English, the enthusiasm of both the staff and children ensures that you will be able to make yourself understood. Both the Projects Abroad staff and your supervisor will always be available to ensure you make the most of your time in China.