School Sports Volunteer Project in the Philippines
- Placement location: Bogo City and San Remigio
- Role: To work alongside local teachers coaching children in a variety of sports with the goal of improving their fitness.
- Age of Students: 10-16
- Class Size: 15-20
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, travel and medical insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 1 week
- Start dates: Flexible
The School Sports project in the Philippines is ideal for volunteers with a passion for sport and an interest in helping others progress in their own sporting capability- whether you are on a gap year, career break or taking time out during a summer holiday.
The aim of this project is for children at primary and secondary schools to increase their fitness levels, allow them to practise their favourite sport while having fun, and to encourage them to develop a lasting habit for staying active and playing various sports throughout their lives.
As a volunteer on this project, you will work in local schools in Bogo City and San Remigio where football, basketball, baseball, lawn tennis and athletics will be taught. Physical Education has been included in the curriculum of the local schools and is definitely an area in need of volunteer assistance. If you have any experience in organising training programmes or a background in general health and fitness, you could be a real asset to this project.
Volunteers assist the main teacher during the sports lessons, although you may be asked to teach small groups independently, or be teamed with another volunteer. Many schools do not have the resources to employ a permanent sports teacher, so your help is really needed.
Volunteers at the school take small groups out of the classroom to do physical activities and play games with them, either independently or with another volunteer. Volunteers should expect to work a minimum of 5 hours per day. There is also the option to combine School Sports with a Care or Teaching project.
This project is unavailable during the school holidays, from April to May.