Social Work Internship in Ecuador
- Placement locations: San Cristobal, Galapagos Islands
- Role: Providing emotional support and care to local children while working alongside a trained supervisor
- Requirements: Interns need to be enrolled in a social work programme at university and have an intermediate understanding of Spanish
- Type of placement: Kindergartens
- Accommodation: Host families
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, transport to and from work where required, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible. Not available during March and April
Ecuador is known for its idyllic islands, beautiful scenery and abundant wildlife. However, marginalized groups are neglected, and children are especially affected. Those that need the most help in Ecuador are underprivileged children from single-parent homes (and the parent is often still very young themselves) and children who have special needs, such as autism. It is crucial that these children receive the stimulation and care that they need to thrive and reach development milestones.
During this Social Work Internship, you will be providing children at a kindergarten with the support and care that they need. You will be also be gaining first-hand experience in a developing country and work daily with a qualified professional who will help guide and assist you during your project. Use this opportunity to ask questions and learn their techniques to hone your own skills.
Your role on a Social Work Internship in Ecuador
You can use the knowledge and training you learned during your studies at university to help local staff. You can assist on tasks such as:
- Providing stimulation for the children through basic education activities such as singing, and arts and crafts
- Assisting the local staff with the day-to-day care of the children
- Playing with the children and observing their behaviour in and outside the play area
- Give special attention to the children with special needs who are learning alongside the other childrens
- Assessing each child and identifying their strengths
As part of the Social Work Internship, you will be expected to work Monday to Friday for around six hours per day. This gives you the opportunity to gain as much practical experience as possible during your project. You and your project supervisor will agree on your working schedule during your first few days in Ecuador.
This project runs all year round and has flexible start dates so the choice of when you join and for how long depends on the time you have available. If you are only able to join us for the minimum duration of four weeks, we will ensure you get the most out of it.
What skills or qualifications do I need?
All interns who join us in Ecuador must be currently enrolled in a social work programme at university. Students with relevant subjects are also encouraged to join the project.
An intermediate understanding of Spanish is required so that you are able to communicate effectively, both with the staff and the community. If you are interested in taking Spanish lessons while in Ecuador, please read about the language courses we have on offer.
If you are interested in this project but aren’t studying in this field, then please read about our standard Care project in Ecuador.