What volunteer opportunities abroad can I do with my family?
On one of our activity holidays abroad for families, you’ll roll up your sleeves and get right to work on a project designed to benefit local people or the environment.
Some of our projects are more family-friendly than others. Here are our most popular and suitable projects for families volunteering abroad:
- Conservation: Work in the heart of the Amazon Rainforest, help protect endangered giraffes in Kenya, or care for and release baby turtles into the ocean in Mexico. We have several conservation programmes around the globe that focus on protecting endangered species and environments. This is also a great option if you want a family volunteer holiday with animals.
- Childcare: As a family, you can support local teachers and caregivers by caring for and teaching kids. Plan fun activities, read stories, teach children games from your home country, or help with mealtimes. As the saying goes, many hands equal light (and fun) work!
- Sports Coaching: Sports are a global language and have the power to bring people together. Share your family’s passion for sports with local kids and young athletes, and help encourage people to have fun keeping fit.
For a full list of our family volunteer abroad programs, take a look at our product snippets below. Projects Abroad is a secular organisation and our non-religious family mission trips aren’t affiliated with any specific religion. If you have any other questions, you can also speak to our Project Experts, who can advise you on which project will best fit your interests and goals.
Interested in family gap year working holidays abroad? Our projects are safe and entirely flexible, and you can choose how long you want to travel. We can also organise different types of projects in multiple countries. Read our popular blog post about the Fatan family who did just that!
How does it work for children?
We also support families with children of various ages:
- We can accept volunteers aged four years and older with their families. Contact us if your child will be under the age of four at the time you want to travel and we can discuss the options available.
- Ages 4-14: Children between 4-14 years old can be accommodated and work with their parent(s) for a reduced fee.
- Ages 15+: If your child is aged 15 or older, he/she may volunteer without the accompaniment of a parent at the standard per person price.
- We offer a 5% discount for immediate family members travelling together. This discount applies to adults and children aged 15+.
- We can usually arrange family volunteer abroad opportunities in all destinations except China and Costa Rica.
- In Jamaica, families are welcome. However, children cannot go to work with their parents here, so one parent needs to look after the children, or childcare can be arranged.
Can't find what you're looking for?
We’d be happy to talk about creating a custom family volunteer opportunity abroad for you and your family. Most of our staff have been volunteers themselves, so they’re well placed to answer your questions, big or small.
or email:Get in Touch
to start planning your project