Volunteer Physiotherapy Projects in Bolivia
- Placement location: Cochabamba
- Role: To volunteer alongside trained local staff responsible for treating and caring for children with special needs
- Types of placements: Hospitals and care centres for children with special needs
- Requirements: Volunteers must be 18 years or older and speak Spanish to an intermediate level
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Physiotherapy volunteers are needed to work at various centres for children with special needs. The centres help children through a variety of sessions including physiotherapy, hydrotherapy, psychology and speech therapy and volunteers with skills in these other areas would also be very welcome.
Physiotherapists are also needed at the Burns Unit of a local hospital. Here you will be involved in social integration, functional rehabilitation, and sensorial recovery of the patients. Patients are children from new-borns to fifteen years of age. They will have experienced a range of burns from scalding to household accidents. Facilities are basic, but the staff are excellent and you will be able to learn a lot on this placement.
Your Role in Bolivia
Volunteers also get involved in identifying and working with children from local orphanages that need to receive physiotherapy or other treatments. As with all our Medicine & Healthcare projects, your exact role will depend on your personal level of experience and knowledge. You will work on a one-to-one basis with each child giving them valuable physiotherapy support and also concentrated attention, which will also help them thrive.
Volunteers Physiotherapists on projects in Bolivia should be aged 18 or older and will need intermediate Spanish in order to communicate directly with the majority of local staff and patients. Many volunteers who lack confidence in their Spanish language ability take a Spanish Language course or join a Teaching or Care project before joining their Medicine & Healthcare programme. This gives you the opportunity to improve your language skills before starting the medical part of your placement.
While in Bolivia, you will live with one of our host families therefore experiencing the real Bolivia. There are also many other Projects Abroad volunteers to spend time with and explore Cochabamba city or the surrounding areas.
If you have qualifications or experience in this field then we can make use of your skills. Read more about the opportunities for skilled volunteers in Bolivia.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Bolivia Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.