Volunteer Physiotherapy Projects in Philippines
- Placement location: San Remigio
- Role: To provide physiotherapy treatment and care to disabled patients
- Type of placement: House-to-house visits and community centres
- Requirement: Volunteers on this project must have completed at six months to one year of physiotherapy/occupational therapy related studies or training
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Minimum duration: From 1 week
- Start dates: Flexible
According to the 2010 Census of Population and Housing in the Philippines, there are 1.44 million people struggling with a disability in the Philippines. It is estimated that 1 in 20 households have at least one family member with a disability and half of them are not able to attend or finish primary school.
While many experience lifelong disabilities, others are able to overcome mobility problems with appropriate therapy. Poor families, especially in Northern Cebu, are unable to afford special therapy sessions because of their high costs and/or lack of nearby facilities. People with disabilities need at least two to three treatment sessions per week and this does not take into account other medical needs required for their full rehabilitation.
Volunteers will be based at the Persons with Disability Affairs (PDAO) in San Remigio, Cebu and will work with disabled patients during house-to-house visits and gatherings in various community centres.
Volunteers will work under the supervision of the director of PDAO Head, who is also disabled. Volunteers will work from 8:30am until 11am and then again from 1:30pm until 4pm.
Although volunteers may not see results immediately, it is a rewarding experience for the volunteer to see the gradual improvements in their patients.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Philippines Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.