Volunteer Physiotherapy Projects in Tanzania
- Placement location: Moshi
- Role: To learn from the experience of skilled local staff in the care and treatment of patients
- Types of placement: Hospitals
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Volunteering in Physiotherapy in Tanzania can give you valuable experience in the field. You will also be helping to support local people who will benefit from your time.
As a physiotherapist in Tanzania, you will work in the physiotherapy department of a hospital. Patients are accident victims and have suffered various injuries such as broken bones and burns. You will be involved mainly in the rehabilitation of these patients to help their recovery.
Your Role in Tanzania
You will shadow local staff, learning by observing. If you have physiotherapy experience and are enthusiastic and integrate yourself well into the team, you may be given more to do. Staff are welcoming and keen to show you how physiotherapy is practised in their hospital. You will learn a lot during your time here. Facilities may be basic and you may have to be creative in your approach to the care of patients.
Previous volunteers have taken part in physiotherapy outreach work. This often involves working with patients who cannot leave their homes. Having physiotherapists who can visit patients in their own homes provides care they would not otherwise have access to.
You will live with local Tanzanian host family for the duration of your volunteering with Projects Abroad. There will be many other volunteers to spend time with during your time off from your physiotherapy project and you will be able to explore the local area with them.
You can read more detailed information about the aims of the project in our Tanzania Medicine & Healthcare Management Plan.