Psychology Project in Mongolia
- Placement locations: Ulaanbaatar
- Role: To assist qualified psychologists with research and consulting material.
- TYPE OF PLACEMENT: Health care centres and outreach work
- REQUIREMENTS: Only volunteers who have completed at least three years of psychology related studies will be accepted.
- Accommodation: Host families
- Price: From
- Length of placement: 4 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
Volunteers have the opportunity to assist local psychologists at one of our partner health care centres in Ulaanbaatar. The facilities are generally of a basic standard and patients often travel vast distances to attend appointments.
In accordance with Mongolian law, volunteers will not be able to treat or consult patients directly. However, Psychology volunteers have the opportunity to research and prepare training and consulting materials for one of the trained psychologists. Volunteers will be working at one of our partner psychology treatment centres, which includes a maternity hospital, a cancer hospital, and a counselling service centre.
Depending on the volunteer’s level of experience, they may be able to perform psychometric tests, interviews, and behavioural observation. As psychology is a fairly new science in Mongolia, volunteers will have an opportunity to share their expertise with local psychologists. They will welcome discussions or presentations from our volunteers on theories of psychological treatment. Our local partners often encourage volunteers to write a report which might include an overall assessment or suggestions for strengthening the service.
Once a month, volunteers will take part in medical outreach work in Ulaanbaatar.