Volunteer Project with Nomads in Morocco
Volunteer on the Nomad Project in Morocco and live with a family whose way of life has barely changed in thousands of years. Whether you are an adventurous gap year volunteer or a career breaker wanting to really get away from it all and experience a very different culture, the Nomadic families of the Moroccan Sahara will be ready to welcome you.
The Nomad Project is located near the city of Guelmim, known as the Gate of the Sahara, as it marks the start of the Moroccan desert. Guelmim is a two hour drive from Agadir and 640 kilometers south of Rabat, where our office is located.
- Placement location: Sahara desert
- Role: Caring for livestock, building, cooking and helping to source water
- Accommodation: Host family
- Price: From
- What’s included? Food, accommodation, transfers to and from our specified airport, insurance, personal webpage, induction and orientation, 24/7 support
- What’s not included? Flights, visa costs, spending money
- Length of placement: From 2 weeks
- Start dates: Flexible
After a night’s rest in nearby Fask (30 minutes’ drive from Guelmin) you will travel for about an hour to arrive at your desert host family. These travelling tribes herd camels and goats across the dunes to search out the most plentiful sources of water.
Many tourists travel to surrounding towns like Taourirt, Taidalt or the town of Abayno with its hot sulphur springs. They may have a meal and spend the night in a bivouac tent or an auberge. As a volunteer, living and working with the local people you can truly experience the lifestyle of this ancient civilisation.
Volunteering on the Nomad Project in Morocco
As a volunteer you will be involved in a wide range of work and activities during your stay, these may include:
- Caring for and milking the livestock
- Helping to source underground water supplies and oases
- Building the nomadic homes
- Cooking bread and traditional meals in ovens under the sand
- Mastering local Saharan handicrafts
- Learning the local language and the songs of nomadic folklore
In sharing your life with a nomadic Moroccan family you may also wish to teach them the language, games, music, sport and arts of your homeland.
This project runs throughout the year; however, please note that during the summer months of June, July and August temperatures can be as high as 45 degrees Celsius.
Some volunteers opt for a Tamazight Language Project in the capital of Rabat, for two or four weeks, before embarking on their desert adventure.
Nomad Project volunteers should arrange their own transport as far as Guelmim, where the Nomad Project Coordinator will meet you. If you are travelling via Rabat or Casablanca, a member of staff can meet you there to assist you with getting your onward bus or flight to Guelmim if needed.
You can join the Nomad project in Morocco for two or three weeks if you don't have time to join us for four weeks or more. This project has been selected by our local colleagues as being suitable for short term volunteering for both the host community and the volunteer. Although you will gain a valuable cultural insight and work intensely within the local community please be aware that you may not be able to make the same impact as someone volunteering for a longer period.